Interstitial cystitis or bladder pain syndrome is a complex disease that needs the accurate diagnosis and treatment by an experienced urologist. Dr. Ashish Saini, being an experienced urologist, performs the interstitial cystitis treatment in Delhi at his urology clinic in routine. Interstitial cystitis is more common in females than males and is a very annoying bladder issue for both. Treatment of interstitial cystitis goes through a phase of remission and relapse. However the timely treatment of interstitial cystitis is quite important for the better outcome of the disease. To find out the more information about the interstitial cystitis treatment in Delhi, read on further –
Management and treatment of Interstitial cystitis in Females by Dr. Ashish Saini –
Symptoms of Interstitial Cystitis
- Pain & discomfort in the Bladder area
- Painful Sexual Intercourse or pain after the sexual activity is quite common in interstitial cystitis.
- Bladder pain increases as the urine fills in the bladder, so heavier the bladder, more will be the pain.
- Pain is localised around the lower abdomen and lower back. It can also travel to the reproductive organs.
- Frequency of passing urine increases at night and in day as well.
- Patients feel a constant urge to pass urine even when the bladder is empty. This urgency varies from patient to patient.
What causes interstitial cystitis?
For the best interstitial cystitis treatment in Delhi, knowing the reason behind its onset is of great help. However, there is no single known reason behind the occurrence of interstitial cystitis, there can be a few reasons behind it such as –
- Any inflammation in the bladder
- Urine infection that is damaging the bladder tissue
- Any nerve disease that alters the sensation of bladder and thereby creates urgency and increased frequency of urination
- Any autoimmune disease can also lead to interstitial cystitis
How the diagnosis of Interstitial cystitis is made?
The diagnosis of interstitial cystitis is made based on a combination of symptoms, physical examination, bladder pressure measurement and cystoscopy. Many patients who suffer from interstitial cystitis show ulcers in their bladder on examination with cystoscope. The symptoms are then correlated with findings and the other diseases are ruled out. An experienced urologist in delhi can diagnose the problem fully as the diagnosis is tricky and requires experience on the part of a urologist.
Interstitial Cystitis Treatment in Delhi
- Lifestyle modification – Behavioral therapy is the first line of treatment such as ways to reduce stress and anxiety are taken into consideration. Patients are advised to stay away from caffeinated, carbonated and alcoholic drinks. Citrus fruits and spicy foods are also avoided. After that the patient is taught the elimination diet to find out which food is irritating the bladder.
- Medications & Injections – Medicines are prescribed along with the lifestyle changes if the symptoms are quite bothersome for the patient. The medicines can be given either orally or via the bladder directly. A group of medicines are prescribed to treat all the related conditions if present such as antihistamines, antidepressants and heparin etc. The medicines vary from patient to patient and as per the symptoms. Some steroid injections also provide long term relief from the symptoms, such as a year or so. They can be repeated if required.
- Bladder Ulcer Removal – If the symptoms don’t settle with adequate medication and lifestyle changes then the bladder ulcers are cauterized under anesthesia. This gives good results in almost all the cases of interstitial cystitis treatment in Delhi.
Things to Consider After Getting the Treatment for interstitial cystitis in Delhi
- Interstitial cystitis is a remission and relapse disease, so there may be flare ups of the disease after it gets treated. However the relapse can be treated easily.
- Some alternate therapies such as neuromodulation (an electrical impulse is passed to alter the bladder nerve sensation) and pain management medicines provide adequate long term relief in between the phases.
- The bladder irritants must be avoided even in the remission phase or when the disease is not showing any symptoms.
To get the best interstitial cystitis treatment in Delhi, you can book an appointment with the best urologist in Delhi, Dr. Ashish Saini here. You can also call us at +91-9643438106 or walk in at our clinic Excel Advanced Urology Centre Delhi.